had i only known sooner
this yarn is a great deal over at wool needlework discounter. my mom requested a scarf recently. she picked this out at a lys a few weeks back (ok i kinda nudged her towards the alpaca silk because i had been drooling over it and wanted to find an excuse to order it). the night it arrived i sat on my couch for a couple of hours debating what pattern to knit the scarf. I went from a k1,p1 rib to a broken rib. nothing felt right. i put it aside for the night. the next day i was talking to another knitter and i made a comment that it seemed like the perfect yarn for a cable pattern. of course, that wasn't an option because i didn't know how to cable and didn't think i was ready. 5 minutes later i was convinced i could do it.
i went home, pulled out scarf style and found the perfect pattern (vintage velvet). i cast on immediately. had i only known sooner how EASY cabling is i don't think i would have put it off for so long. i am loving it.
my much anticipated box also contained 12 lovely skeins of kureyon in color 150. it isn't quite enough for the whole entrelac stole in scarf style, but it is a good start.
i'll share one more of my recent online purchases.
pink! thermos! cherry blossoms! this was too adorable for me to resist. do i have much use for it? probably not. but i will love it anyways.
this weekend is a getaway with the girls. we are going to a "mountain retreat" in leavenworth. hopefully they will have some snow. it will be a cozy weekend, there are no tvs in the rooms. there are 4 of us going and 3 out of the 4 knit. my other girlfriend left a message this evening asking if i would bring needles for her. she wants to learn. yeah! it should be a relaxing time, and i think it will be a great occassion to use the new thermos (hot chocolate anyone?).
i have to point something out. today i was at michaels looking for a cable needle. i happened across a yarn by bernat called bling bling (not to be confused with berroco bling bling - how the heck are there 2 yarns named bling bling, what a horrible name!). ummm so the thing is, it is IDENTICAL to the knit one, crochet too jam yarn. IDENTICAL, they had the exact colorway i just did my ruffle scarf in. it was half the price too. WHAT? HUH? how does this happen? did knit one, crochet too sell their yarn to bernat? is this common in the yarn world? anyways, i just had to mention that, it was just so weird.
alrighty, i joined sp4 so below is for the benefit of my secret pal, but feel free to read it if you want to know more about me :)
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- a nd/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you? i think so. i can't imagine ever buying red heart. lion brand is ok, but i had some and didn't enjoy knitting with it.
2. Do you spin? Crochet? no and no
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.) no, but i don't like the smell of smoke
4. How long have you been knitting? 1 year, 1 month
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? nope
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) i like bakery scents, sweet scents, like vanilla, orange, lemon etc. dislike floral or musky scents.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? very much so!
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? umm, honestly, i have had many hobbies, but right now knitting is all consuming
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? yes to the mp3s. i am a big fan of the postal service, cake, death cab for cutie, modest mouse, the decemberists, sarah mclachlan and many 90's alternative bands (after all i am from seattle).
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? i am a big pastel person. pink and green are my favorite colors. i also love the pink/brown, blue/brown and green/brown combinations.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? single with no pets.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know) to finally start my own business, to enjoy it and be able to make a living from it.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? noro kureyon or silk garden, rowan big wool, cascade 220, koigu and manos del uruguay.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? acrylic.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? accessories. i am not into the whole sweater thing yet.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? wraps, scarfs, fingerless gloves, felted bags, etc.
17. What are you knitting right now? a scarf and a stole
18. What do you think about ponchos? i think the trend is over.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? circular. i have never knit with straights. although i do use double pointed needles for socks etc. i haven't learned how to do it with two circulars yet.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? i use my denise set mostly, but do love bamboo. i don't like aluminum.
21. Are you a sock knitter? i am now, i have just finished my first pair and it was enjoyable.
22. How did you learn to knit? the stitch n bitch book and a very talented co-worker
23. How old is your oldest UFO? 8 months
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? don't really have a favorite character, but i am definately a cat person.
25. What is your favorite holiday? christmas
26. Is there anything that you collect? nice ribbon, paris stuff and vintage knitting needles in pastel colors.